I looked forward to this project all semester and had been brainstorming ideas for a while. I wanted to do a design that interested me and I would want to wear after. I really wanted something that others would also appreciate, that would speak to more than just me. I had more than a few ideas, but the most interesting one to me, the only one that actually made it on paper, was about Sasquatch.
I’m not the best at sketching, and because of that I had a few reference images pulled up on my computer. My idea was originally to have a full-faced big foot with the words “hide and seek champion” in a circle around it. As I sketched and looked around, I loved the idea of having half of his face hidden. I looked up images of chiaroscuro and wanted to follow that pattern.
The reference images helped me to get the facial shape that I wanted, at least to the best of my ability.
As I was editing my drafts, I elongated the face and changed the location of the eyes and mouth to be closer together. I also created a brush and added it as the stroke to add variation to the edges. This helped soften lines and give me more ideas. I ended up changing the words and looking up when the first sasquatch sighting was, 1811. My edges had different styles, so I made them more block-ish and gave a little more of a forehead.
When I printed, my blacks were different colors so I should have checked that before sending it in. It ended up looking good anyway and I’m happy with how it turned out.