Gig Poster

At first, I was nervous about this project. I was unsure as to what ideas I would come up with and what would inspire me. In class, we did a brainstorming idea with a whiteboard and random words, feelings, colors and genres. I had my roommates give me words and we used a nerf gun to imagine different images. In the end, I didn’t use any of those ideas, but the activity helped to get my brain going.

Sketches:

Scan 1

Scan

 

 

 

 

I came up with two basic ideas, one was a very large mushroom that looks like a tree, which is a very loose interpretation. I also thought of a tribal mask with a twist. The best I came up with was unnatural patterns or sunglasses. I really like how the tribal masks looked in the sketches and headed in that direction.

Drafts:

draft 1 draft 2 draft 3

 

 

 

 

I used one of my sketches for the overall shape and also for the letters. I tried using a font and shaping the letters, but loved how the letters looked as I drew them. So I made them a texture and placed them in. The colors took me a while to get right and adding details to the mask was a slow process, but I searched for African Tribal masks and colors for reference.

Reference Images:

African-Masks-Collection-1_02

 

 

 

I elongated the face and added line details with a special-made brush. I also created another texture for the sunglasses and maroon background out of a wood image.

mask_final-01

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’m excited to see how it prints and am happy with the changes and refining process I went through.

Advertisements

T-shirt Design

I looked forward to this project all semester and had been brainstorming ideas for a while. I wanted to do a design that interested me and I would want to wear after. I really wanted something that others would also appreciate, that would speak to more than just me. I had more than a few ideas, but the most interesting one to me, the only one that actually made it on paper, was about Sasquatch.

Sketches:

sketch 2 sketch 1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’m not the best at sketching, and because of that I had a few reference images pulled up on my computer. My idea was originally to have a full-faced big foot with the words “hide and seek champion” in a circle around it. As I sketched and looked around, I loved the idea of having half of his face hidden. I looked up images of chiaroscuro and wanted to follow that pattern.

References:

reference 1 reference 2

 

 

 

The reference images helped me to get the facial shape that I wanted, at least to the best of my ability.

Drafts:

Draft 1

Draft 2

draft 4

 

 

 

 

As I was editing my drafts, I elongated the face and changed the location of the eyes and mouth to be closer together. I also created a brush and added it as the stroke to add variation to the edges. This helped soften lines and give me more ideas. I ended up changing the words and looking up when the first sasquatch sighting was, 1811. My edges had different styles, so I made them more block-ish and gave a little more of a forehead.

Final:

Sasquatch Final

When I printed, my blacks were different colors so I should have checked that before sending it in. It ended up looking good anyway and I’m happy with how it turned out.